OLOGY Ballistics Nautiques NZ. X-AIR WAKEBOARDING
wake.co.nz
 Search  | Register  | Profile  | Log in to check your private messages  | Log in  
Importing a boat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BWake
Half Cab
Half Cab

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy sent me a post about what i needed to bring to the shipping yard when i picked up the Sanger. Thought id put a post up to share the info.

When they shipped it they took the axles off. When i arrived at the shipping yard someone had tried to put it back together and stuffed half the bolts and put the axles on incorrectly (ie the braked axle was on the back). Me and a mate went and took a few trolley jacks and 4 axle stands. Was a 3 hour mission getting the axles around the correct way and boat ready to go, so take a few trolley jacks, axle stands, a mate to help you and a few socket sets.

Mine might be the exception but thats what i needed to do. The brake hose was also cut so i got a custom one made and had to put some new fittings on it. Getting the guards welded on was nice and easy, as was changing the trailer plugs and running two new wires for indicators (american trailers indicate with the brake light)
andeman
Ole
Ole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Advice required... Reply with quote

We are expecting to pick up the SN 2001, sometime over the next week. Could someone who's in the know or previously imported an older american boat (in our case a 1984 model) tell me, whats the go petrol wise regular vs Super. Also are any additives (lead/octane etc) required with these older motors ?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Last edited by andeman on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwi surf
Ole
Ole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boats probally not going to require a valve seat adative as its bound to have had to pass some american emissions rule requiring it to run on unleaded fuel and therefore will have hardened valve seats.

I would never run any engine on anything lower than 95 octane fuel. Higher octane fuel will allow you to create more horsepower. It may cost you more at the pump but you will get more hours per fill than 91.

clicker
Ole
Ole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far we have put about 150 hours on our 1986 SN 2001, have ran it on 91 since the day we got it and its ran mint as so far. cant see the valve seats from the drivers chair tho ha ha . there are some forums on http://www.the2001.com they talk about it might be a good start for a read up and make your mind up from there what to run on. good choice on the 2001 the wake is great and its cheap as to run Cool
scooot
Half Cab
Half Cab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a boat on Thursday last wek from Kiwishipping (aka Mainfrieght) they are now clearing vehicles at there Carotrans location in Otahuhu no longer at the Frieght Station out by the airport. When we got there the boat and trailer where on blocks and the axle and trailer parts where on a seperate pallet. They no longer bolt the axles back on so bring jacks, jack stands and tools required to do the job.
Da Boogieman
Frontside 900
Frontside 900

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and an umbrella
GZA
Ole
Ole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We are expecting to pick up the SN 2001, sometime over the next week. Could someone who's in the know or previously imported an older american boat (in our case a 1984 model) tell me, whats the go petrol wise regular vs Super. Also are any additives (lead/octane etc) required with these older motors ?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Run it on 91. These engines are old clunkers, the 351 has been around for years and is designed run on 89 octane. They don't have the compression to warrant running 96+.
The thing you might want to do is get some decent oil and get a zinc additive to add to it. We're running a Torco? one from segiden's.
Zinc has been removed from oil for environmental reasons but the down side is that the 351 in your boat (more than likley) will have a flat tappet cam not roller therefore without zinc wil wear tappets and cams faster.
Correctcraftfan.com should be your first stop online, there will be somebody on there who can answer just about any question you will ever have about the 2001.
[/url]
wiski
Half Cab
Half Cab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at possible importing a boat from the states,would 40-45k nz get me a nice boat with all exspensives paid.ie shipping taxes etc? Don't mind the look of a mastercraft........or is my budget a little low? Also what's generally the waiting time of delivery? Cheers wiski
charlotte
Ole
Ole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your budget you would basically be looking at 18-22k USD... so probably the Sport nautiques or MC 205s...not quite enough $$ to get into a v-drive.

In which case you might want to consider the Nautique 2001s which is a great centre mount for wakeboarding. I see there are a couple of them on the market in NZ at the moment in good condition which you might want to consider and save yourself the hassle and come in under budget. Ours is set-up really well with plumbed in ballast if you want to have a look at one and see what kind of wake you can get out of them. (Auckland)

Have a look on boattrader.com see what there is, watch out for boats without trailers included.

Keith
Back Roll
Back Roll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC V-Drive...
you'd get a worn out one like this http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=819666

i know people have got much better deals than that though, take lots of searching, waiting and more searching.

but for that much why wouldn't you want the ultimate 90's V-Drive bought locally (aye Ralph)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Motorboats/auction-275931604.htm
wiski
Half Cab
Half Cab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is freight and tax thousands Question because im checking out a shyte load of boats for around the 30K U.s which is roughly 41k NZ Question
scooot
Half Cab
Half Cab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me I can give you details on costs as I landed a boat 3 months ago.
BWake
Half Cab
Half Cab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooot helped me lots as did sonny on here when i imported my sanger. ive got an excel template setup which does a quick sum of all the costs as well if you need a hand.

just buy my sanger Smile then you dont have the risk of getting a dud, or trying to deal with people who think you are out to rip them off like half of america is. v drive as well with 170ish hours! Smile

would love to keep it but need the cash now that im at uni fulltime

Last edited by BWake on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
scooot
Half Cab
Half Cab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a bit more my SAN is up for sale.
scooot
Half Cab
Half Cab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bwake if I down your way I will let ya know come have a set on the SAN (if it hasnt sold).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wake.co.nz Forum Index -> The Boat Shed All times are GMT + 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: